"The Howard's first purpose-built air race plane "Pete" epitomizes the spirit of early air racing when home-built planes embarrasses the latest military designs. It's a shame that we've lost this great adventure when some clever, and creative people with limited resources and few safety regulations in civil aviation could design and build beautiful airplanes in backyard.
What Howard did was impressive and remarkable indeed. Definitely he left us a priceless legacy with such flying specimen. For us truly and deeply is so inspiring! " . (Santos Mont)
DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
The half-scale model is made as the real specimen, the Pete's fuselage is constructed of welded steel tubing to give an exceptionally strong and fairly light structure, at the end is covered in fabric. The control surfaces are wood with plywood covering. The cockpit is sized to an absolute minimum. The axle between wheels is shaped using airfoil NACA M-6, producing and helping the lifting effect when take off. In short, the same vintage characteristics and craftsmen techniques are applied in this 1/2 scale model.
And because what we do is pure exclusivity, in advance we can say that, each model is delivered with a photo album that contains high-resolution photographs, in black and white from the era, printed on high-quality matte paper (13 x 18cm), recalling the Golden Age of Air Racing. A must for any and every aviation collector and enthusiast. We hope you will enjoy as much as we are enjoying propose to you all this. Excited?
Montcraft's DGA-3: Specifications & Characteristics
- Scale: 1/2
- Crew: 1 pilot (1930s flight suit, summer flying helmet & googles)
- Wingspan: 306 cm (141.7 in)
- Length: 270 cm (106.3 in)
- Wing Chord: 60 cm (23.6 in)
- Wing Planform: Constant Chord, Rounded Tips
- Wing support: Wire braced
- Wing sweep: Straight
- Wheel track: 76.5 cm (30.1 in)
- Wing Root Airfoil: NACA M6
- Wing Tip Airfoil: NACA M6
- Undercarriage axle fairing Airfoil: NACA M6
- Dihedral angle: 3°
- Incidence angle: 2°
- Wing Location: Low wing
- Horizontal Stabilizer: 0º inc.
- Stabilizer Airfoil section: Symmetrical
- Stabilizer location: Mid-Fuselage
- Undercarriage (Landing gear): Scale fixed struts (No shock absorber)
- Wheels & Tires: Super scale "Golden Age" spoked wheels in scale at size ø 25 cm (9.8 in/dia.)
- Tail skid: in scale totally functional, shock absorber operated by stainless tension spring
- Exhaust Manifold: complete and in scale with four exits, totally functional
- Propeller: wooden 2 blade prop 20 x 10 in with scale era high-res. 1930's "Supreme" logo printed on it and tips painted in white as the real one
- RC Control Functions: 5 channels (1x Rud. servo, 1x Elev. servo, 1x Throt. servo, 2x Ail. servos)
- Elevator Throws: 6 cm (2.4") Up - 6 cm (2.4") Down
- Aileron Throws: 2.5 cm (1") Up - 2.5 cm (1") Down
- Rudder Throws: 6 cm (2.4") Left - 6 cm (2.4") Right
- C.G. (from L.E.): 36% to 42%
- Powerplant: 1x Roto 85FSi inline two cylinder, 5.5 hp (4 kW), 85 c.c. (5.1 cu. in.)
- Engine Sidethrust: 0º
- Engine Downthrust/Upthrust: 0º
- Scale aluminum fuel tank capacity: 1000 ml
- Oil tank at scale (fictional to hide batteries)
DETAILS, REALLY MATTERS
Cockpit highly-detailed; Aluminum dash panel, instrument gauges with Safira glass and many other clockwork details. Scale safety belts, upholstery pilot seat... is not forgotten, much more is included for better and real accuracy, the exposed overhead oil line, fuel fill cup, maintenance access panels, fuel and oil tanks in scale made with aluminum sheet 0.8mm welded, etc.. Must be seen!
- 1930 - Prototype configuration: Silver all over, with the lettering "Pete", License number "NR 601V" and "Wright Gipsy" (in cowling panel port side only) in solid Black
- 1930-33 Original configuration gloss White all over, with the lettering "Pete" and License number "NR-2Y" in high gold and black outlined, racing number "37" in high solid black
- 1934-35 Once Jacobson purchased the aircraft, the name "Pete" was replaced by "Chevrolet Six" and License number was changed to "R2Y", the Racing number "37" was kept. In this Jacobson' version all lettering is painted in solid Black.
OBS.: Any of the colored configurations are available upon request or during the placed order act.
Basic Materials Used in Construction
- Fuselage: welded steel tube and Plywood, fabric-covered by Solartex(*)
- Wings and stabilizers: Spruce and Plywood, fabric-covered by Solartex
- Empennage: Stainless steel tubes, Spruce and Plywood, fabric-covered by Solartex
- Stainless steel sandblasted fuselage: longerons and struts
- Stainless steel sandblasted tail: vertical fin and rudder
- Spruce and Plywood: horizontal fin and elevators
- Fixed undercarriage and functional tail skid
- Tail skid with tension spring shock absorber
- Aluminum scale engine cowling
- Scale spoked wheels
- CNC cut plywood parts
- CNC cut aluminium sheets
- Wooden scale wing ribs
- Cedar spars and fairing strips
- Plywood bulkheads
- Screws and laser cut stainless steel accessories
- Hi-scale instruments panel
- Streamlined ready to mount flying wires
* Solartex is a super light, extra fine woven fabric covering material which adds immense strength and toughness to an air-frame. Solartex is coated with a powerful adhesive exclusive to this product. The material is an excellent covering for all types of model construction. The adhesive is active over a wide temperature range and gives Solartex the unique advantage over other iron-on fabrics that it can be used at low temperatures to mold around compound curves. Solartex is fuel proof and airtight as ironed on. Weight is 60-80 g.s.m. (grams per sq. meter). 30 g.s.m. is approximately one ounce per sq. yard.
Why a FOUR-STROKE model aircraft Gas engine?
The 4-stroke engines are the best choice for a scale aircraft; this engines are quieter, get better fuel economy, have a realistic sound like a real airplane engine, generate much more torque and will swing a larger propeller.
ROTOmotor 85 FSi gas engine is included ** in RTF version for Kit is available upon request.
- Powerplant: 1x ROTO 85 FSI, four-stroke
- Cylinders: 2x cyl. inline
- Spark plug: 2x NKG CM6 (is included a spare of spark plugs)
- Carburator: 1x Walbro
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Horse power: 5.5 hp (4 kW)
- Displacement: 85 cc (5.1 cu. in.)
- Static engine thrust: 14 kg
- Bore: 39,5 mm
- Ignition: Processor ROTO (electronic)
- Fuel: GAS: 95 Octane + OIL: Motul 710 or Castrol Power RS Racing 1:40
- RPM: 1000 - 5800 (with 25x10" prop)
- Propeller: 25x10" (is included one propeller drilling jig)
- Fuel flow: 80 to 100 ml/min. (normal condition flight)
Motor Weight composed by: 2995 gr + 290 gr for four exhaust pipes + 260gr for 2 ignition and 135 gr for 2 cell Lipo.
Total Motor weight: 3680 gr. | ready to run = 4401 gr.
** We strongly recommend use the ROTO 85 FSi, once that was adopted to power this scale model, as well as used during our flight tests. Adopting other petrol motor is not recommended once the C.G. can be changed dramatically causing several undesirable troubles; - the model does not fly properly, or even worse, a major failure in flight or losing control can destroy your model for ever! | ** Total motor weight: if is not included the fuel weight: 721 gr Avgas fuel (AVGAS has a standard density of .721 kilograms per Liter).
MORE ABOUT "PETE"
- Pete's article - historical background | [PDF] (10,71 Mb)
Old Magazine Article & Ads
- Aug. 1967 - Sport Flying magazine, [PDF] courtesy of Ken Stoltzfuz Sr. (4,94 Mb)
- Jan. 1929 - Wright Gipsy Ad, [PDF] (373 Kb)
- KIT = € 3.600,00
- RTF = € 4.800,00
- Packaging and delivery (Europe mainland) : € POA
- Packaging and delivery (International) : € POA
* All quoted prices are in EURO (€). Orders from within the European Union are subject to 23% VAT (Portuguese sales tax). Orders from outside the European Union are not subject to VAT. A deposit of 50% is required prior to the cutting and manufacture of this RC airplane model. Full payment is required before a RC plane will be dispatched. All orders are accepted when your bank transfer has been successfully processed.
** World-wide numbered Limited Edition of 15 units only!
CODE OF HONORTo provide a better service with our customers, we have some terms and internal rules that is a kind of code of conduct and thereby honor both parties involved. This is our business, our work and our life depends on it. Your respect is expected and will be very appreciated indeed. Please take few time to familiarize yourself how we work when we take an bespoke service and/or when one of our products is sold by us. Open and print Terms & Conditions, thank you very much.